Advanced Level - Cores 5 and 6
Art Curriculum for High School students, ages 14 and up
Your child is ready to Own it! The art you see is sophisticated as your child focuses on personal interests through one of three ways: reworking the creation of symbols (imaginative artworks); developing narrative themes (subject-focused artworks); or solving visual problems using the elements of art and principles of design (realistic artworks).
These ARTistic Pursuits resources are designed specifically for your High Schooler's MATURE Stage of Development. We provide learning opportunities with art class objectives that fit your high schooler's needs as a growing artist and expand their visual experiences. Your child will gain the artistic skills they desire. They will learn how to look at famous artists' works, understand the role of European art in history, practice the elements and principles of art in creative ways, and produce artworks in drawing and painting that showcase your their unique interests, ideas, and experiences.
ART CORE 5, Drawing with Water-soluble and Graphite Pencils
A 36 lesson course designed to help you develop a solid foundation in drawing with a complete working knowledge of the elements of art and principles of design.
Students discover their own creative strengths in the arts using source materials of their choice to create drawings in water-soluble and graphite pencils. This advanced course is perfect for the more experienced art student needing a High School art class or in preparation for a college-level course. Students work independently.
In the art instruction videos, students learn how to use the art materials and tools.
In the art instruction books, students see Master works by artists from around the world and gain an understanding of art history, art appreciation, and color theory.
Together, the student's art education is complete, making this a very easy program to use!
"The beauty of ARTistic Pursuits is that I can relax and just let my daughter work through the text on her own, confident that she is getting a quality art education. She may not become a great artist, but she is learning the elements of art, how to evaluate the art around her, and her own confidence is growing as her skills are improving. ARTistic Pursuits has earned its place as a staple in our home, and in the homeschool community."
April Elstrom, The Old Schoolhouse® Magazine, LLC,
The ability to draw isn't something you're born with, but it's built on a number of techniques and principles that you can learn! Here are just a few of the concepts you'll learn to use in this course:
- Learn basic drawing strategies that free your mind to focus on one element of art at a time as you build your drawing from start to finish!
- You'll learn how to use line weight, hard lines, and soft lines to describe the qualities of your subject.
- Discover how arranging the picture space with the rule of thirds helps the eye to move through your drawing, avoiding lifeless compositions.
- Learn to use graded pencils to make light, middle, and dark values to show 3-dimensional forms.
- Learn to use water-soluble graphite pencils and a brush to create watercolor-like textures within your drawings.
- Draw accurate facial forms using tonal range for delicate or strong lighting.
- Draw accurate human forms using 17 unique shapes.
- Become confident when drawing a variety of subjects including still life, landscape, human figures, and portraits.
Create drawings that feel like a true reflection of who you really are; as your interests, ideas, and experiences become a part of your art.